Sunday, May 29, 2005

The good, the bad ,and the ugly

Phew, I feel so relieved now. My assignment is as good as done. I’m just so glad it turned out alright in the end. It all started a week ago when I attempted my surveying assignment report. Everything was going so well, I was on a roll, my numbers were crunching in just fine, I was just in the zone, at a groove, no problems what so ever. But when the moment of truth arrived, I was shocked to realise my numbers didn’t add up right. Horrified I was…sigh. I spent the whole weekend working on it and it turned against me. Man, I checked everything through again, from my field notes, to my numbers to my calculation. Everything seemed fine, there wasn’t a trace of error. I was crushed, and in my desperation I went to see the lecturer the next day. Well, she didn’t give me any answers (didn’t expect it anyway), just some tips and stuff like that. With renewed spirit, I went back to re do my assignment…but…it came out just as bad…which lead me to fear the worse. Our group must have stuffed up when we were collecting data during the field exercise. I was sort of in a state of denial. We went through the whole thing with so much precision, like a surgeon we made sure everything was accurate and right on the spot…couldn’t believe it. I was dejected for a couple of days…still shellshock by the whole thing. Cum weekend, I sort of accepted the fact that my field notes were wrong and had to take up the optional exercise (perhaps a lot of students got it wrong, thus a separate assignment was given as an alternative)…but I wasn’t about to give up without one last fight, like they say, “it ain’t over till the fat lady sings”, fat lady wasn’t in sight …went through the whole assignment again…and to my astonishment, turns out I input the wrong data to one of the calculation. The number should have been 97.852, but I wrote it down as 87.852…turns out it was a big deal, because the errors just snowballed if some information was misinterpreted. Well, it was a turn of events, or “Eu-catastrophe” as Tolkien puts it. Wallah, my work now was near perfect ,and because no field work can be perfect, plus the fact, no perfect equipment has been build yet…my work was thus…PERFECT…

4 comments:

Serenely said...

Havinhg panda eyes after that entire marathon assignment?
I feel for you brother... so glad you stuck it through and didn't give up!

Penny152 said...

It goes to show - you can't be too right. Dad always say :"Check and re-check !!"

Penny152 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alfred Lee said...

When I read the front portion of your blog, it caused my cold sweat to run. I did think "How is he going to pass up something that's is not right! By the the I read on, sigh of relief. It turn out ok ". This remind me one day in the bank using my ATM card. Mom quoted me my card's No. (***81). Rejected and rejected. Couldn't withdraw money. A couple of days later, went back, used No. in my record. This timke, it worked. Mine read (***18). Same problem like you, Ah Bou !