Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Tribute to My Group Mates

You know what, between you and me, I really hate group assignment…I mean I don’t mind doing laboratory work as a team and writing individual reports…but doing everything as a team…research, report…etc…just doesn’t cut it for me…the fact that I have to rely on somebody else just annoys me.
Well, this semester, I was force out of my comfort zone…for PHIL3910 (technology and human values), we had to do group assignments together…which included a 4000 word report on appropriate technology as well as group presentations every fortnight…
To be perfectly honest, the first time we work as a group, I was highly skeptical…for our first presentation, we had to give a brief description about values systems and value inquiry…during discussion, we all just stood there…chatting while other groups were scrambling to find talking points…I was a little worried…but we made it through that round…Over the course of time…we learn to gel as a team…but I suppose, the biggest motivation is that we felt that to pass this course, we really had to rely on each other…slowly (actually rather quickly)…we harness out presentation prowess…our lecturer seem to be always impress by our presentations…
I just got back from my groups last meeting, to finalize our group report…let truth reign…again, we started rather late with this assignments…but in the end…I was pleasantly surprise the quality of the report…since I was the only 2nd year among 3rd year students in my group…I learn heaps about putting together a proper report…not to mention tons of cool words (mostly engineering technical term)…I know I wouldn’t have done nearly as good as a job is the task of putting it together was thrown on my shoulder…
But alas, today signaled the final collaboration between 5 of us. All the work needed to push us this far has been completed…we’ll (at least me, since all of them are 3rd year chem. Eng students) probably never work together as a team anymore…I prayed for a good group to be in…and I got it…
Wazza, Walshe, Jess and Karan…was fun working with you guys… but its goodnight and good luck…adios amigos…catch you another time…

2 comments:

Serenely said...

Group assignment... its a risk... sometimes you end up with fantastic mates... sometimes not. Glad everything worked well with yours... I remember you telling me earlier this year that it was a possible concern to rely on others to pass a unit...

Alfred Lee said...

I personally wouldn't like to work in a team whose members are assigned by other rather than of your own selection. By then, this is something we have to get used to....