Sunday, July 04, 2010

Hands

I've been watching a lot of "Cosby Show" lately. So I was googling through the internet to find more videos about about each character...I stumbled onto several "def jam poetry" videos on youtube. Two of the Cosby Show co-stars: Malcom Jamaal Warner (Theo) and Phylicia Rashard (Claire Huxtable) were contributors to this particular events (they both presented really good poetry). Anyway, I at a risk of sounding too poncy, I have to admit, some of them were good, some I just didn't get, some were funny, others just fell flat, Some I just couldn't relate to. But...occasionally, there were some gems like this one...which were both brilliant in terms of content and clarity. It's tittle "hands" by Sarah Kay...enjoy...



It's such a simple poem which doesn't try to be overly cleaver of sophisticated. The contents did make me ponder and realize certain aspects of our pair of "hands". First of, I never really imagined that my whole life story could be summed up by my pair of hands. You know...every cut, bruise, scar and blisters represents every toil and hardship I've endured...but to be honest...I do own a pretty slick pair of hands...barely worn out...except of this bump on my right middle finger...which I suppose represent my frequent use of stationary...

But...more than that...what stuck me even more was the idea that our "hands" are really an extension of our own thoughts...every action that we've taken with our hands reflects the very thoughts in our mind...whether we chose to hit someone, embrace them (that's using hands isn't it?), shake hands, high fives, clench a fist, give someone a pat in the back, ruffle someones hair, hold hands, point, flip the bird...etc etc...well you get the idea...

So remember to always keep your hands in check...and that hands...are such a wonderful gift from God...

2 comments:

Penny152 said...

Thanks. This is something i could use in my speech - the importance of loving hands. To inspire the students...

Ah Bou said...

That's great...although I fail to see the context...anyway, hope the students appreciate it...sometimes we doze off during speeches...