Friday, April 27, 2007

The Degradation of a Culture

A couple of days ago, I had a conversation with my friend Jackie (a.k.a China Boy). I was curious about some of the cultures in mainland China. Basically I was asking him about authentic festivals in China, e.g. Traditions, how they celebrate, and particularly the stories linked with the festivals itself…etc. Ok, now that I’ve finished setting up the scenario. Here’s how our conversation unfold;

The festival in question was “Mooncake Festival”. Obviously, being pure Chinese, he celebrated this particular event. So I laid out the question like this “My Dad and primary school teacher used to tell me that Mooncake Festival was to celebrate the successful toppling of the government (long long ago)”…story goes like this, long ago, in China, the people where unhappy about their government regime. So, the people decided to revolt. I assume the regime exercise marshal law at the time, hence, the rebels communicated with each other via notes stuffed into little pastries…long story short, the rebels were able to topple the government due to the ‘hush hush’ or their plan. I also told him my mom would tell me this myth when I was little about “the princess on the moon” (Chang Eer Bpen YueàSorry, best I could do)…again, long story short, the princess ate some kind of drug and ended up flying to the moon…I mean literally fly to the moon…I don’t mean getting stoned…Jackie had a version about 2 lovers on the moon (somehow, that reminded me of the song, “under the lover’s moon”), but it’s basically still the same princess (and both involved a moon).

Anyway, I asked him which story is engraved to the festival…what surprised me was that he said mooncake festival is linked with the “Princess Chang Eer”…and that he had never heard of the story of the rebels and I was the first person to enlighten him on this issue. Well, I don’t know about you, but the story about the rebels seems more convincing. I mean, that would make the celebration more meaningful…you know…about oppression, freedom and equality. Sadly, the memory of these brave rebels have faded into thin air…and replaced by some Princess on the moon.

Unfortunately…mooncake festival is just one many festivals that has deviated from it’s true meaning…Christmas for example…celebration of the birth of Jesus…now, Santa seem to have taken center stage. Easter-the death and resurrection of Jesus…but for some reason…chocolate, bunnies and eggs found it’s way to this most meaningful celebration …(Easter and some celebration of fertility were combined into one festival (or some other more appropriate word)). Christianity isn’t the only victim in this vicious degradation… In England, most people have forgotten why they celebrate the “Bonfire Festival”…and in Australia…I bet nobody knows what St. Patrick’s Day is about (to be honest…I don’t either)…all I know is that on this day…people drink all day all night…can it really be such a shallow joyous occasion?…but then again…that the only thing the Irish is good for…

It’s sad that such significant events/celebrations (well, maybe except St. Patrick’s Day)… eventually…all of the memory of history past will just be forgotten…how sad indeed. I guess that’s why Mom and Dad always made it a point to help us understand the truth behind each festival…and I guess the truth behind everything…hopefully, we’ll all be more careful and not take things for granted in the future.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mid-autumn festival, to be precise, is when they tell of the myth of Chang Er. Mooncake, is where, I think, they stuffed the secret note which eventually led to the toppling of the government. How mooncake is linked to mid-autumn festival, that I don't know of.
Many English do know why they celebrate Bonfire Night, if it's the Guy Fawkes person you're talking about?
Not sure whether what I've said are relevant *shrug*

Alfred Lee said...

After reading your blog, I also wanted to test how far China Chinese know about Moon cake Festival. We have 2 China Chinese in our cell. So after the cell meeting, I asked both of them, one wss totally unaware of its history (the part about rebellion against the Yuan Dynasty). One other knew cos he majored in History in his Uni study. Later on, she said, " Funny, I need to learn Chinese history from oversea Chinese outside China !"

Ah Bou said...

Hahaha...I think i just got burned by Iris...hehe. Anyway, any knowledge gainied is always a good thing... thanks Iris...your comment was very enlightening...I'm guessing Mid-autumn & Mooncake festival aren't really linked in any way...it's probably synchronism at work.
And Dad, I wonder if it's the Chinese governments attempt to prevent another major rebellion from the people, by surpressing some of it's knowledge of history. Similarly, how the japanese conveniently left out large chunks of WW2 events in their revised history books.

Anonymous said...

Well, apparently the mooncake incident occurred mid autumn, whether or not it's on the 15th itself, I'm not sure. Now you make me sound like a Buddha of some sort =)
But I do agree with your St. Patrick's Day, Christmas linked to Santa and all... *nods wisely*

Alfred Lee said...

I think the reason the Chinese Govnt omitted this part of the history was deliberate so that their people would not pick up any idea about rebellion or revoluttion.

MissBlueBlossoms said...

Hi Paul!
HI.... hi.... :)