Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Cause and Effect

This is a pretty old subject, but non-the-less, still very intriguing. Many interesting people have cross my path during my stay at Newcastle ( and hope to meet more ), but 2 of them stand out, when it comes to the topic of cause and effect. Well, one of them is 4th year Swedish guy persuing a graphic design degree, the other and Australia born Cambodian girl in her 1st year Pharmaceutical post grad degree. Now both these guys are your regular Uni students, nothing fancy, just like you and me, and sometimes, we take being ordinary for granted, because we hate the fact of being ordinary (not to mistake for not aiming high in life). Now ,I'll start with the Swedish guy, nice bloke, well the story doesn't really lie with him, but his great grand-parents, sometime during the early-early nineties, when the US opened their shores to the foreign, his grand-parents actually bought tickets to go to the US, on the day they were supposedly to leave, all ready with the tickets in hand and suitcase full of their belongings, they suddenly decided they didn't want to go. And there ends this particular story...not very impressive?? think again, had his parents boarded that ship, my friend would probably have not existed, instead, it would probably some 3rd generation Swedish Americans living in Ohio...who knows?? Well, the 2nd story involving the girl takes a more dramatic route, see, her parents lived in the mist of the Pol Pot regimen, to escape this onslaught, they had to flee to Thailand, and eventually found solitude in Sydney,Australia...well, certainly more dramatic when lives are at stake, but again, demonstrates that circumstances forces people into action... when I heard this two particular stories, it made me wonder about my own family's past, and it hit me, had the Hakka people been a rich tribe, they wouldn't have made their way to Sabah. To give their children what they couldn't have, an opportunity. So in fact, the idea of each and everyone of us being where we are, doing what we do ,or even who we are, isn't as simple as being born under our parents, or even talents that we have bestowed...NO, it certainly runs deeper than that, the probability or events that lead up to future events, are so small, that it's seems almost by chance...doesn't that make your feel fortunate and bless that standing/sitting where you are right now lies on such deep history and could not have happen any other way. Therefore, be thankful each day because the "effects" we have now are down to the "cause" or our fathers (and mothers)...definitely as the Lord had plan...

3 comments:

Alfred Lee said...

That reminds me. In 1972, I applied and got an offer to do Civil Engineering in the University of Southhampton. I couldn't go. No money then. But then if I had gone, I wouldn't have met the most wonderful woman in my life, my wife of course and thereafter 3 equally wonderful kids. That is cause and effect.

jenQker said...

well another cause and effect is that when i stepped down from being the best tennis player in the world... by doing that, it gave my lil bro the chance to step up and be not too bad... kekek

VickieVic said...

Hey Paul- you're so detail in this!=)