Monday, March 20, 2006

The Death of Week 4

Phew...(taking a deep breath)…what a week it’s been, both socially and academically… as, some of you might be aware of, I just concluded week for (also known as hell week, at least in my case this semester)…I can’t help but feel a sense of relief after toiling and slaving over the previous week. I feel like a boxer, receiving several japs…but in the end I came up trumps…still standing…hahahahahha, take that week 4. Some of the stuff included a lab session, our 1st philosophy group tutorial (which involves group discussion and presentation)…and to top it all, 2 assessments…I must say, I feel very physically drained. Lab was pretty good (but that’s not the hard part…the report is)…we did our thing…finished and left…tutorials was a whole new experience for me…I never really had to do any serious group work before…but to make things even more interesting, we had to do a group presentation…man, I was really worried at 1st…my group seem really slack…in the back of my mind I was thinking…oh no, doomed…I never really liked group work, especially those that you have to depend on people…the idea that the fate of my grades rest also in other peoples hands irritates me a lot…which is probably reflected in why I always excel in single matches (tennis)…cause winning depends on me and me alone…but then again, in the working field, I would be forced to work coherently with the other bodies (i.e, architects, contractors, developers…etc etc), so it’s probably why they made us do all these in the 1st place…well, but in the end, we did deliver a pretty decent presentation, and our lecturer looked satisfied…so yeah…good on us, maybe we work well with pressure. Assessment tests were good, I think I did alright…should be good, anyway, test are normal for me now, we get them so much that you sort of become immune to all the emotions affiliated with it.
Well, that was a mouthful, having said that, my weekend was pretty productive, I went for this event called “Jazz In The Park” at King Edward Park…it’s basically an event where people go to that park to listen to a band play jazz music…I have a funny story to go with it, when me and some friends reached Civic Station, I clearly said, “Follow the formal dressed people”…and so we did, once we reached the top of the hill, Mike (HK dude), said that we were going in the wrong direction…so we headed back down wondering aimless to other parks around the area…so frustrated we were that we ended asking one of the station workers the location of desired destination. He kindly, pointed us in the right direction (which to my dismay), was the exact path we were taking before old HK dude opened his mouth…see, never trust a business person to do an engineers job (not really an engineers job, but we certainly have a better sense of direction than our business counterparts). I have to say, JITP was awesome, I’ll be the first to admit that jazz isn’t my cup of tea (unlike my other siblings), but there’s something about life music playing in the night…it sort of lifts the atmosphere. Sadly most of my closer friends weren’t able to share the moment with me, cause I couldn’t really convince any of them to go…not really their culture…so typically, I got replies of, “Lazy” or “What for”…most of my night was having small casual conversations with other people that I know. Still, it was great to say the least…the band played classic jazz number by crooners like Frank Sinatra, Sam Cook…to their own jazz renditions from Van Morrison, Stevie Wonder, and even Patti LaBelle…I wish there were more stuff like these in KK, would definitely love to go to events like those…the only one I can think right off the bat would be “Christmas By Candle Light” in Sutera. Even that one is in principle, meant for the Mat Sallehs staying at the resort. Disappointing to say the least. Still, I only missed that event once since it’s interception, so I do treasure that event a lot.
Well, weekend was pretty much doing my lab report…proud to say…I’m finished (well almost)…all that is needed is some revising and editing…plus a front cover and a table of content page…I feel good…that’s probably one of my biggest assignment this semester…so yeah…good…oh, and I’m proud to announce that I’m now a member of SSA (Singapore Student Association)…hahhahahaah, it all started when someone told me there were free pizzas at the common room tonight…I thought, this was a college event…well, I was wrong…still joining the thing only cost like 5 bucks…and I ate like maybe 15 AUD worth of pizzas…moneys worth…oh yeah…I might joined them for the winery tour at Hunter Valley…I went last year…it’s a good trip…maybe might buy a bottle or two…
Anyway, this is a long post to make up for my negligence…Week 5 is way less stressful than 4…just another number…good time for a breather…
P.S, Federer won again, Pan Pacific/ Pan Pilot…or was it Pacific Life…well, it’s a “Masters” event, so…it’s big…at this rate…World no 1 again?...
Dad, I must make you swallow your own words…recall “I think 2006 will be the beginning of Federer’s downfall”…you thought wrong…you thought wrong…

3 comments:

Penny152 said...

Most of the time Dad's predictions on Federer are wrong. I missed the event, being engrossed in the Commonwealth Games. Wow, Paul, when you do write, you really can outdo us!

Alfred Lee said...

Haha, I really have to swallow my words. I was surprised that Federer still maintained his top form so far.I observed that Haas and Blake have imroved significantly since last year. Federer must play doubly hard !

Serenely said...

Good to know you're still alive after the long silence. Been busy eh? $5 to join the S'pore Student Assoc? Maybe you should start your own version of SSA: Sabah Student Assoc.

BTW, you extended your condolences to Charmaine's (Irwin's GF) brother? Their mother passed away